The realization of a hydrogen society is expected to contribute to reducing the effects of global warming and improving energy security.
Ammonia is the leading option for hydrogen energy carriers.
To establish a value chain that extends from the distribution of CO2-free ammonia to the use of it,
conducting studies on technological and economic assessment, in developing policy proposals, and in promoting international collaboration.
Second International Conference on Fuel Ammonia (ICFA) will be held on September 28 from 6:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. (Japan time), co-hosted by METI. (Streaming Online)
■ ICFA official site：Second International Conference on Fuel Ammonia (icfa-conference.org)
■ Please click here to register your participation.
We have moved our office to a new location. Our new adress is Takebashi Bldg. 9F, 2chome -1- 8 Kanda Nishikicho, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 101-0054, Japan.
【Draft Definition of Clean Ammonia (Interim Summary)】
CFAA has been discussing the definition of clean ammonia. We are now releasing a draft definition (interim summary) in order to solicit opinions from non-members.
You can download the draft definition here.
If you have any comments, please contact the secretariat. firstname.lastname@example.org
We have received an invitation from the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI), Agency for Natural Resources and Energy to hold the 1st Asia Green Growth Partnership Ministerial Meeting (AGGPM) Public-Private Forum. If you are interested in attending the forum, please register at the registration site below.
■ Registration site： Here
■ Date and Time: Monday, April 25, 2022, 15:00-18:30 (JST)
■ Method: Online
■ Registration fee： Free
The 1st International Conference on Fuel Ammonia (ICFA) to be held on October 6 from 7:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. (Japan time), co-hosted by METI.
■ ICFA official site https://www.icfa-conference.org/icfa2021/en/index.html
■ Please click here to register your participation.
The corporate name has been changed to “Clean Fuel Ammonia Association”.
We shared a link to Ammonia Energy Association.
Prof. Hideaki Kobayashi received the Combustion Society of Japan Prize 2019 for Thesis award and the Executive Vice President of the GAC Shigeru Muraki, along with Advisory Members Ken-Ichi Aika and Bunro Shiozawa, received the Technology Award.
GAC Website Opened
The general meeting was held
President ： Shigeru Muraki
I am indeed honored by this opportunity to express my thoughts as newly assigned president of CFAA.
To achieve sustainable growth that balances energy and the environment, it is imperative that we urgently reduce greenhouse gas emissions, especially carbon dioxide emissions. Many countries, including Japan, are accelerating their efforts to achieve carbon neutrality by 2050. Under such circumstances, fuel ammonia is increasingly expected to be an effective solution.
The fuel ammonia industry was listed as one of the 14 priority areas in the “Green Growth Strategy for Carbon Neutrality in 2050” formulated in December 2020. A Cabinet Decision on the Sixth Strategic Energy Plan approved in October 2021 stipulated that hydrogen and ammonia should make up 1% of the power supply mix in 2030.
The Strategic Innovation Program (SIP) of the Cabinet Office from 2014 to 2018 described that ammonia can be utilized as a zero-emission fuel that does not emit carbon dioxide when burned. It is also the most effective energy carrier for storing and transporting renewable energy. While technological development for social implementation has continued, the Public-Private Council for Fuel Ammonia Introduction was established in October 2020 to accelerate efforts toward social implementation of fuel ammonia, in collaboration with private companies, including consumers and suppliers, and the government. We will commit to playing a leading role in the Council and we are working to build a value chain from the supply of fuel ammonia to its use.
Stable supply and cost reduction are crucial for the social implementation of fuel ammonia. For this, it is essential that Japanese companies actively participate in the development of the supply chain infrastructure for manufacturing, transportation, storage, and receiving of ammonia, focused on the utilization side. This includes direct combustion and co-combustion technologies, in which Japan is already a world leader, as well promotion of governmental support measures and public-private partnerships.
Since its establishment in 2019, CFAA has served as an intermediary between industry, academia, and government in conducting studies on technological and economic assessment, in developing policy proposals, and in promoting international collaboration. We will continue to contribute to the early social implementation of fuel ammonia, decarbonization, and the growth of Japanese industry.
I personally thank you most sincerely for your commitment to CFAA and I welcome your valuable contributions to our common interest.
General MeetingEmployees：Regular members
AuditorsBoard of Directors
- Technology Committee
- Strategy Committee
- International Committee
Board Members (As of 30 June, 2022)
|President *||Shigeru Muraki||Executive Advisor, Tokyo Gas|
|Executive Vice President *||Masahiro Aika||Managing Executive Officer, JGC HOLDINGS|
|Executive Director||Susumu Miyazaki||Secretary-General, Clean Fuel Ammonia Association|
|Director||Keisuke Ishii||Chief Technology Officer, Toyo Engineering|
|Director||Koichi Uchida||Executive Officer, Marubeni Corporation|
|Director||Masayoshi Ota||Managing Executive Officer and General Manager, UBE|
|Director||Yukihisa Ozawa||Executive Officer, IHI|
|Director||Hideaki Kobayashi||Professor, Tohoku University|
|Director||Makoto Susaki||Senior Vice President and CTO, Mitsubishi Heavy Industries Engineering|
|Director||Seiji Takeuchi||Managing Executive Officer, Sumitomo Chemical|
|Director||Masaya Tanaka||Executive Officer, ITOCHU Corporation|
|Director||Toshi Nakamura||Executive Officer, NYK Line|
|Director||Hiroki Haba||Senior Vice President, Mitsubishi Corporation|
|Director||Takashi Furutani||Executive Managing Officer, MITSUI & CO.|
|Director||Tetsuya Watabe||Senior Managing Executive Officer, JERA|
|Auditor||Osamu Azegami||Managing Director, Member of the Board, TOYOTA ENERGY SOLUTIONS INC.|
|Auditor||Manabu Yoshida||General Manager, Mitsui Chemicals|
|* Representative Director|
Membership List（As of 26 August, 2022）
- JGC HOLDINGS
- Marubeni Corporation
- Mitsubishi Corporation
- Mitsubishi Heavy Industries
- MITSUI & CO.
- NYK Line
- SUMITOMO CHEMICAL
- Tokyo Gas
- Toyo Engineering
- UBE Corporation
- ABE NIKKO KOGYO
- Air Liquide Japan
- Air Water Inc.
- AISAN INDUSTRY
- Aramco Asia Japan
- Asahi Kasei
- BP Japan
- Chubu Electric Power Company
- CHUGAI RO
- Cosmo Oil
- Daihatsu Diesel
- Diamond & Zebra Electric Mfg
- Electric Power Development
- Emerson Japan
- Fuji Car Manufacturing
- Fuji Electric
- Fuji Oil
- FUKUI SEISAKUSHO
- HAZAMA ANDO
- Hitachi Industrial Products
- Hitachi Zosen
- Hokkaido Electric Power
- Hokuriku Electric Power Company
- Idemitsu Kosan
- IINO KAIUN
- IMI Japan
- ISHII IRON WORKS
- Iwatani Corporation
- Iwatani Gas
- Japan Oil Engineering
- Japan Oil Transportation
- JFE Engineering
- JFE Steel
- JGC Catalysts and Chemicals
- Kawasaki Kisen Kaisha
- Kawasaki Heavy Industries
- KOBE STEEL
- Kowa Company
- Kyushu Electric Power
- Maruzen Petrochemical
- MIKUNI KIKAI KOGYO
- Mitsubishi Electric
- MITSUBISHI GAS CHEMICAL
- Mitsubishi Materials
- Mitsui Chemicals
- Mitsui E&S Machinery
- Mitsui O.S.K. Lines
- Mitsui Sumitomo Insurance
- Mizuho Research & Technologies
- MUFG Bank
- Nippon Kaiji Kentei Kyokai
- Nippon Kaiji Kyokai
- Nippon Paper Industries
- NIPPON SHOKUBAI
- NIPPON STEEL
- NIPPON STEE Pipeline & Engineering
- Nitto Denko
- NS UNITED KAIUN KAISHA
- Okinawa Electric Power
- Osaka Gas
- Penta-Ocean Construction
- Senko Line
- Shell Japan
- Shikoku Electric Power Company
- SHIN NIHON KENTEI KYOKAI
- Shinsho Corporation
- Shizuoka Gas
- Showa Denko
- SUMITOMO CORPORATION
- Sumitomo Mitsui Banking
- Suzuyo Shoji
- Taisei Corporation
- TAIYO NIPPON SANSO
- TB Global Technologies
- The Chugoku Electric Power Company
- The Kansai Electric Power Company
- thyssenkrupp nucera Japan
- TOHO GAS
- Tohoku-Electric Power
- TOKYO ELECTRIC POWER SERVICES
- Toray Industries
- Torishima Pump Mfg
- TOYO KANETSU
- TOYOTA CENTRAL R&D LABS
- TOYOTA ENERGY SOLUTIONS
- TOYOTA INDUSTRIES
- Toyota Tsusho Corporation
- TSUNEISHI SHIPBUILDING
- Uyeno Transtech
- Vena Energy Japan
- Wärtsilä Japan
- YANMAR HOLDINGS
- Yokogawa Electric
〔Associate Members (foreign companies)〕
- "ACME Cleantech Solutions Private Limited (IND)"
- A-Enviro Chile GmbH-Austria Energy (AUT)
- AES Andes (CHL)
- Baker Hughes (UK, US)
- CF Industries (US)
- Clean Hydrogen Works (US)
- DNV (NOR)
- Engie - Hydrogen Business Unit (FRA)
- Equinor ASA (NOR)
- Fortescue Metals Group (AUS)
- "Kellogg Brown & Root Asia Pacific Pte. Ltd.(SIN)"
- LSB INDUSTRIES (US)
- Novatek Gas and Power Asia Pte. Ltd. (SIN)
- NTPC (IND)
- "NW interconnected Power Pty Ltd (Asian Renewable Energy Hub) (AUS)"
- Origin Energy Limited (AUS)
- Stanwell Corporation (AUS)
- The Hydrogen Utility (AUS)
- Total Energies Japan S.A.(CHE)
- Woodside Energy (AUS)
- Yara International ASA (NOR)
- Osamu Ishitobi（Former President）
〔Associate Members （individual)〕
- Fumiteru Akamatsu
- Hideaki Kobayashi
- Jyun Kubota
- Kiyohiko Nakae
- Norihiko Nakamura
- Yoshitsugu Kojima
- Bunro Shiozawa （ex-SIP Deputy PD)
- Kenichi Aika （ex-SIP Deputy PD)
- "Takeo Kikkawa (International University of Japan)"
- Akita Industrial Technology Center
- Ammonia Energy Association （USA）
- Austrade Tokyo Office （Embassy）
- "Central Research Institute of Electric Power Industry"
- CSIRO (AUS)
- Electric Power Research Institute (USA)
- Government of Queensland (AUS)
- Government of South Australia (AUS)
- Government of Western Australia (AUS)
- Japan Bank for International Cooperation
- Japan Coal Frontier Organization
- "Japan Fertilizer & Ammonia Producers Association"
- "Japan Oil, Gas and Metals National Corporation"
- "National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology（AIST）"
- "National Institute of Maritime, Port and Aviation Technology"
- New Zealand Embassy, Tokyo, Japan
- Niihama City
- "Norwegian Embassy (Innovation Norway, Japan)"
- Research Institute for Applied Sciences
- Shin-Mutsu-Ogawara Inc.
- SHUNAN CITY
- The Australian Hydrogen Council(AHC) (AUS)
- "The High Pressure Gas Safety Institute of Japan"
- The Institute of Applied Energy(IAE)
- The Institute of Energy Economics, Japan
- "New Zealand Hydrogen Association(NZHA) (NZ)"
- YOKKAICHI CITY