The realization of a hydrogen society is expected to contribute to reducing the effects of global warming and improving energy security.
Ammonia is the leading option for hydrogen energy carriers.
To establish a value chain that extends from the distribution of CO2-free ammonia to the use of it,
conducting studies on technological and economic assessment, in developing policy proposals, and in promoting international collaboration.
The 3rd International Conference on Fuel Ammonia (ICFA2023) will be held on September 29, 2023. This conference is co-hosted by the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI) and CFAA.
Date：Friday, September 29, 2023, from 2:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. (Japan Standard Time)
Format ：Hybrid format of on-site and online (using Zoom) (with simultaneous interpretation in English and Japanese)
Venue ：Hitotsubashi Hall (NationalCenter of Sciences Building2F,2-1-2 Hitotsubashi, Chiyoda-Ku,Tokyo)
■ The 3rd International Conference on Fuel Ammonia Website
■ To register for the conference, please visit:https://www.d-wks.net/icfa230929/form/
Our New Year’s holiday
We will be closed for the New Year’s holiday from December 29, through January 3.
We will resume working from January 4.
Thank you for all your kind support of this year and continuous help for new year.
A HAPPY NEW YEAR!
CO2 Free Ammonia as an Energy Carrier
Editors: Ken-ichi Aika, Hideaki Kobayashi
We inform you that “CO2 Free Ammonia as an Energy Carrier” edited by Ken-ichi Aika and Hideaki Kobayashi will be published from Springer.
This book presents the results of ammonia-related research mainly focused on the SIP Energy Carrier (FY2014-18) in English.
Until now, the main source of information has been reports, Energy Carrier｜Completion Report｜Strategic Innovation Program (SIP) (jst.go.jp) in Japanese, but we hope this book will be disseminated as a bible of “Ammonia Energy Carrier”.
The e-book is already available. The hardcover book will be published in early January 2023.
For details, please see below.
The Second International Conference on Fuel Ammonia (ICFA) was successfully finished. Thank you for your participation.
The conference archive is available via the following link; https://www.icfa-conference.org/en/index.html
Second International Conference on Fuel Ammonia (ICFA) will be held on September 28 from 6:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. (Japan time), co-hosted by METI. (Streaming Online)
■ ICFA official site：Second International Conference on Fuel Ammonia (icfa-conference.org)
■ Please click here to register your participation.
We have moved our office to a new location. Our new adress is Takebashi Bldg. 9F, 2chome -1- 8 Kanda Nishikicho, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 101-0054, Japan.
【Draft Definition of Clean Ammonia (Interim Summary)】
CFAA has been discussing the definition of clean ammonia. We are now releasing a draft definition (interim summary) in order to solicit opinions from non-members.
You can download the draft definition here.
If you have any comments, please contact the secretariat. email@example.com
We have received an invitation from the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI), Agency for Natural Resources and Energy to hold the 1st Asia Green Growth Partnership Ministerial Meeting (AGGPM) Public-Private Forum. If you are interested in attending the forum, please register at the registration site below.
■ Registration site： Here
■ Date and Time: Monday, April 25, 2022, 15:00-18:30 (JST)
■ Method: Online
■ Registration fee： Free
The 1st International Conference on Fuel Ammonia (ICFA) to be held on October 6 from 7:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. (Japan time), co-hosted by METI.
■ ICFA official site https://www.icfa-conference.org/en/
The corporate name has been changed to “Clean Fuel Ammonia Association”.
President ： Shigeru Muraki
I am indeed honored by this opportunity to express my thoughts as newly assigned president of CFAA.
To achieve sustainable growth that balances energy and the environment, it is imperative that we urgently reduce greenhouse gas emissions, especially carbon dioxide emissions. Many countries, including Japan, are accelerating their efforts to achieve carbon neutrality by 2050. Under such circumstances, fuel ammonia is increasingly expected to be an effective solution.
The fuel ammonia industry was listed as one of the 14 priority areas in the “Green Growth Strategy for Carbon Neutrality in 2050” formulated in December 2020. A Cabinet Decision on the Sixth Strategic Energy Plan approved in October 2021 stipulated that hydrogen and ammonia should make up 1% of the power supply mix in 2030.
The Strategic Innovation Program (SIP) of the Cabinet Office from 2014 to 2018 described that ammonia can be utilized as a zero-emission fuel that does not emit carbon dioxide when burned. It is also the most effective energy carrier for storing and transporting renewable energy. While technological development for social implementation has continued, the Public-Private Council for Fuel Ammonia Introduction was established in October 2020 to accelerate efforts toward social implementation of fuel ammonia, in collaboration with private companies, including consumers and suppliers, and the government. We will commit to playing a leading role in the Council and we are working to build a value chain from the supply of fuel ammonia to its use.
Stable supply and cost reduction are crucial for the social implementation of fuel ammonia. For this, it is essential that Japanese companies actively participate in the development of the supply chain infrastructure for manufacturing, transportation, storage, and receiving of ammonia, focused on the utilization side. This includes direct combustion and co-combustion technologies, in which Japan is already a world leader, as well promotion of governmental support measures and public-private partnerships.
Since its establishment in 2019, CFAA has served as an intermediary between industry, academia, and government in conducting studies on technological and economic assessment, in developing policy proposals, and in promoting international collaboration. We will continue to contribute to the early social implementation of fuel ammonia, decarbonization, and the growth of Japanese industry.
I personally thank you most sincerely for your commitment to CFAA and I welcome your valuable contributions to our common interest.
General MeetingEmployees：Regular members
AuditorsBoard of Directors
- Technology Committee
- Strategy Committee
- International Committee
Board Members (As of July 1, 2023)
|President *||Shigeru Muraki||Former Vice Chairman, Tokyo Gas|
|Executive Vice President *||Masahiro Aika||Managing Executive Officer, JGC HOLDINGS|
|Executive Vice President *||Nobuhiko Kubota||Managing Executive Officer, IHI|
|Executive Director||Susumu Miyazaki||Secretary-General, Clean Fuel Ammonia Association|
|Director||Kenichi Asano||General Manager, MITSUI & CO.|
|Director||Keisuke Ishii||Chief Technology Officer, Toyo Engineering|
|Director||Hideaki Kobayashi||Professor, Tohoku University|
|Director||Seiji Takeuchi||Representative Director & Senior Managing Executive Officer, Sumitomo Chemical|
|Director||Masaya Tanaka||Executive Officer, ITOCHU Corporation|
|Director||Hiroki Haba||Adviser, Mitsubishi Corporation|
|Director||Taro Fukazawa||Senior Vice President, Engineering Solutions, Mitsubishi Heavy Industries|
|Director||Junzo Yamamoto||Senior Executive Officer, Idemitsu Kosan|
|Director||Yoshiaki Yokota||Managing Executive Officer, Marubeni Corporation|
|Director||Tsutomu Yokoyama||Executive Officer, NYK Line|
|Director||Manabu Yoshida||General Manager, Mitsui Chemicals|
|Director||Tetsuya Watabe||Corporate Vice President, JERA|
|Auditor||Osamu Azegami||Corporate Vice President, Member of the Board, TOYOTA ENERGY SOLUTIONS INC.|
|Auditor||Yoshiyuki Hagihara||Senior General Manager, TAIYO NIPPON SANSO|
|* Representative Director|
Member List（As of December 7, 2023）
- Idemitsu Kosan
- JGC HOLDINGS
- Marubeni Corporation
- Mitsubishi Corporation
- Mitsubishi Heavy Industries
- MITSUI & CO.
- Mitsui Chemicals
- NYK Line
- SUMITOMO CHEMICAL
- Tokyo Gas
- Toyo Engineering
- ABE NIKKO KOGYO
- Air Liquide Japan
- Air Water Inc.
- AISAN INDUSTRY
- Aramco Asia Japan
- Asahi Kasei
- Asahi Tanker
- BP Japan
- Chubu Electric Power Company
- CHUGAI RO
- ConocoPhillips Japan
- Cosmo Engineering
- Cosmo Oil
- Daihatsu Diesel
- DAIICHI JITSUGYO
- Diamond & Zebra Electric Mfg
- Electric Power Development
- Emerson Japan
- Fuji Car Manufacturing
- Fuji Electric
- Fuji Oil
- FUKUI SEISAKUSHO
- HAZAMA ANDO
- HIROSHIMA GAS
- Hitachi Industrial Products
- Hitachi Zosen
- Hokkaido Electric Power
- Hokuriku Electric Power Company
- IINO KAIUN
- ISHII IRON WORKS
- Iwatani Corporation
- Iwatani Gas
- Japan Oil Engineering
- Japan Oil Transportation
- Japan Petroleum Exploration
- JFE Engineering
- JFE Steel
- JGC Catalysts and Chemicals
- Kawasaki Kisen Kaisha
- Kawasaki Heavy Industries
- KOBELCO WIRE COMPANY
- KOBE STEEL
- Kowa Company
- Kyushu Electric Power
- LRQA Limited
- MAEDA CORPORATION
- Maruzen Petrochemical
- MIKUNI KIKAI KOGYO
- Mitsubishi Electric
- MITSUBISHI GAS CHEMICAL
- Mitsubishi Materials
- MITSUI E&S
- Mitsui O.S.K. Lines
- Mitsui Sumitomo Insurance
- Mizuho Research & Technologies
- MUFG Bank
- NGK INSULATORS
- Nippon Kaiji Kentei Kyokai
- Nippon Kaiji Kyokai
- Nippon Kayaku
- Nippon Oil Pump
- Nippon Paper Industries
- NIPPON SHOKUBAI
- NIPPON STEEL
- NIPPON STEEL Pipeline & Engineering
- NIPPON STEEL Stainless Steel
- NIPPON STEEL TRADING
- Nitto Denko
- NRS CORPORATION
- NS UNITED KAIUN KAISHA
- Okinawa Electric Power
- Osaka Gas
- Penta-Ocean Construction
- Planning and Design Center for Greener Ships
- Resonac Holdings Corporation
- Safar International
- Senko Line
- Shell Japan
- Shikoku Electric Power Company
- SHIN NIHON KENTEI KYOKAI
- Shin Nippon Machinery
- Shinsho Corporation
- Shizuoka Gas
- SUMITOMO CORPORATION
- Sumitomo Mitsui Banking
- Sumitomo Mitsui Construction
- Suzuyo Shoji
- Taisei Corporation
- TAIYO NIPPON SANSO
- TB Global Technologies
- TEIKOKU ELECTRIC MFG.
- The Chugoku Electric Power Company
- The Kansai Electric Power Company
- thyssenkrupp nucera Japan
- TOHO GAS
- Tohoku-Electric Power
- TOKYO ELECTRIC POWER SERVICES
- Toray Industries
- Torishima Pump Mfg
- TOYO KANETSU
- TOYOTA CENTRAL R&D LABS
- TOYOTA ENERGY SOLUTIONS
- TOYOTA INDUSTRIES
- Toyota Tsusho Corporation
- TSUNEISHI SHIPBUILDING
- UBE Corporation
- Uyeno Transtech
- Vena Energy Japan
- Wärtsilä Japan
- Weathernews Inc.
- YANMAR HOLDINGS
- Yokogawa Electric
〔Associate Members (foreign companies)〕
- "ACME Cleantech Solutions Private Limited (IND)"
- Adani New Industries Limited (IN)
- AES Andes (CHL)
- AMEA Power LLC（UAE）
- Argus Media
- AustriaEnergy International GmbH (AUT)
- Avaada Green H2 Private Limited (IN)
- Baker Hughes (UK, US)
- CF Industries (US)
- Chevron New Energy International Pte.Ltd.(SIN)
- Clean Hydrogen Works (US)
- DNV (NOR)
- Energy North Pty Ltd. (AUS)
- Engie - Hydrogen Business Unit (FRA)
- Equinor ASA (NOR)
- "ExxonMobil LNG Market Development Inc.（US）"
- Fortescue Future Industries (AUS)
- Hexagon Energy Materials Limited (AUS)
- "Karachaganak Green Energy Corporation(KAZ)"
- "Kellogg Brown & Root Asia Pacific Pte. Ltd.(SIN)"
- LSB INDUSTRIES (US)
- Meridian Energy Itd（NZ）
- Novatek Gas and Power Asia Pte. Ltd. (SIN)
- NTPC (IND)
- "NW interconnected Power Pty Ltd (Asian Renewable Energy Hub) (AUS)"
- Orica Limited （AUS）
- Origin Energy Limited (AUS)
- Pilot Energy Limited (AUS)
- Purus Marine（UK）
- Sasol South Africa Limited (S.A.)
- SQM Industrial S.A. (CHL)
- Stanwell Corporation (AUS)
- The Hydrogen Utility (AUS)
- THERMON INC (US)
- Total Energies Japan S.A. (CHE)
- UGL Pty Limited (AUS)
- Vopak Asia Pte Ltd（SIN）
- Woodside Energy (AUS)
- Yara International ASA (NOR)
- Osamu Ishitobi（Former President）
〔Associate Members （individual)〕
- Fumiteru Akamatsu
- Hideaki Kobayashi
- Hirofumi Taba
- Jyun Kubota
- Kiyohiko Nakae
- Norihiko Nakamura
- Suguru Kimura
- Yoshitsugu Kojima
- Bunro Shiozawa （ex-SIP Deputy PD)
- Kenichi Aika （ex-SIP Deputy PD)
- "Takeo Kikkawa (International University of Japan)"
- Aichi Prefectural Government
- Akita Industrial Technology Center
- Alberta Japan Office (CAN)
- Ammonia Energy Association （USA）
- Austrade Tokyo Office （Embassy）
- "Central Research Institute of Electric Power Industry"
- CSIRO (AUS)
- Department of Science and Innovation (S.A.)
- Electric Power Research Institute (USA)
- Embassy of Canada to Japan
- Embassy of the Kingdom of the Netherlands
- Government of Queensland (AUS)
- Government of South Australia (AUS)
- Government of Victoria（AUS）
- Government of Western Australia (AUS)
- Ibaraki Prefectural Government
- Japan Bank for International Cooperation
- Japan Coal Frontier Organization
- "Japan Fertilizer & Ammonia Producers Association"
- "Japan Organization for Metals and Energy Security"
- "Japan Ship Technology Research Association"
- "National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology（AIST）"
- "National Institute of Maritime, Port and Aviation Technology"
- New Zealand Embassy, Tokyo, Japan
- Niihama City
- "Norwegian Embassy (Innovation Norway, Japan)"
- Research Institute for Applied Sciences
- Shin-Mutsu-Ogawara Inc.
- SHUNAN CITY
- The Australian Hydrogen Council(AHC) (AUS)
- "The High Pressure Gas Safety Institute of Japan"
- The Institute of Applied Energy(IAE)
- The Institute of Energy Economics, Japan
- "New Zealand Hydrogen Association(NZHA) (NZ)"
- YOKKAICHI CITY