The realization of a hydrogen society is expected to contribute to reducing the effects of global warming and improving energy security.
Ammonia is the leading option for hydrogen energy carriers.
To establish a value chain that extends from the distribution of CO2-free ammonia to the use of it,
CFAA will dedicate itself to conducting studies on technological and economic assessment, in developing policy proposals, and in promoting international collaboration.
The corporate name has been changed to "Clean Fuel Ammonia Association".
Prof. Hideaki Kobayashi received the Combustion Society of Japan Prize 2019 for Thesis award and the Executive Vice President of the GAC Shigeru Muraki, along with Advisory Members Ken-Ichi Aika and Bunro Shiozawa, received the Technology Award.
For more information
GAC Website Opened
The general meeting was held
The GAC was established.
President ： Osamu Ishitobi
It is imperative that we reduce greenhouse gas emissions significantly (especially CO2), to help realize a sustainable society. Hydrogen energy is expected to play a very important role in achieving this goal.
"Energy Carrier"— one of the themes of Cross-Ministerial Strategic Innovation Promotion Program run by the Cabinet Office of the Japanese government (2014 – 2018)—revealed that ammonia can be used directly as a fuel for power generation and industrial use.
Accordingly, ammonia has been drawing international attention lately
as a CO2-free fuel and hydrogen energy carrier with great potential as recently published IEA report, "The Future of Hydrogen" (June. 2019) recognizes, for example.
Besides, in the “Integrated innovation Strategy” (June. 2019), the Cabinet of the Japanese government stated its expectation for such ammonia’s potential and furthermore set a national target on introduction of ammonia as CO2 free energy.
Clean Fuel Ammonia Association(CFAA) was established in April 2019, with the aim of developing a value chain for CO2-free ammonia to advance the social implementation of its benefits. Expectations for CFAA were also expressed in the above mentioned “Integrated innovation Strategy”, and attracted attention of relevant parties inside and outside of Japan as well. CFAA now has 120 members, including domestic companies, organizations, and overseas-associates.
In addition to socially implementing the use of ammonia, CFAA will dedicate itself to building a value chain for supplying CO2-free ammonia. As part of this, we will serve as an intermediary between industry, academia, and government in conducting studies on technological and economic assessment, in developing policy proposals, and in promoting international collaboration, in order to achieve its goal. I am delighted to be part of CFAA's mission, progressing our activities to help overcome energy and environmental constraints that Japan is facing and to contribute to transforming our society into a decarbonized one.
I believe that our activities will also pave the way for Japanese industries to lead the world in these challenging endeavors.
- General MeetingEmployees：Regular members
AuditorsBoard of Directors
- Technology Committee
- Strategy Committee
- International Committee
Board Members （As of 28 April 2021）
|President※||Osamu Ishitobi||Counselor, Sumitomo Chemical|
|Executive Vice President※||Shigeru Muraki||Executive Advisor, Tokyo Gas|
|Executive Vice President※||Masahiro Aika||Managing Executive Officer, JGC HOLDINGS|
|Director||Keisuke Ishii||Fellow, Toyo Engineering|
|Director||Yukihisa Ozawa||Executive Officer, IHI|
|Director||Shintarou Uzawa||Senior Operating Officer, JERA|
|Director||Masayoshi Ota||Senior Executive Officer, Ube Industries|
|Director||Akihiko Sagara||Managing Executive Officer, Marubeni|
General Manager, Methanol & Ammonia Division Global,
Mitsui & Co.
|Director||Hiroki Haba||Director, Mitsubishi|
|Director||Susumu Miyazaki||Secretary-General, Clean Fuel Ammonia Association|
Executive Vice President of Mitsubishi Heavy Industries
|Auditor||Toshi Nakamura||General Manager, Tramp Co-ordination Group, Nippon Yusen|
|Auditor||Tetsuro Hitoshi||President, Toyota Energy Solutions|
※ Representative Director
Membership List（As of June 11, 2021）
- JGC HOLDINGS
- Marubeni Corporation
- Mitsubishi Corporation
- Mitsubishi Heavy Industries
- MITSUI & CO.
- NYK Line
- SUMITOMO CHEMICAL
- Tokyo Gas
- Toyo Engineering
- Ube Industries
- ABE NIKKO KOGYO
- Air Liquide Japan
- AISAN INDUSTRY
- Aramco Asia Japan
- Asahi Kasei
- BP Japan
- CHUGAI RO
- Cosmo Oil
- DIAMOND ELECTRIC MFG
- Electric Power Development
- HAZAMA ANDO
- Hokkaido Electric Power
- Hokuriku Electric Power Company
- Idemitsu Kosan
- IINO KAIUN
- IMI Japan
- ISHII IRON WORKS
- Japan Oil Engineering
- Japan Oil Transportation
- JFE Engineering
- JGC Catalysts and Chemicals
- Kawasaki Kisen Kaisha
- Kawasaki Heavy Industries
- Kowa Company
- Kyushu Electric Power Co.,Inc
- Maruzen Petrochemical
- Mitsubishi Electric
- MITSUBISHI GAS CHEMICAL
- Mitsubishi Power
- Mitsubishi Materials
- Mitsui Chemicals
- Mitsui E&S Machinery
- Mitsui O.S.K. Lines
- MUFG Bank
- Nippon Kaiji Kyokai
- Nippon Paper Industries
- NIPPON SHOKUBAI
- NIPPON STEEL
- NIPPON STEE Pipeline & Engineering
- Okinawa Electric Power
- Osaka Gas
- Penta-Ocean Construction
- Shell Japan
- Shikoku Electric Power Company
- Shizuoka Gas
- Showa Denko
- SUMITOMO CORPORATION
- Sumitomo Mitsui Banking
- Suzuyo Shoji
- TAIYO NIPPON SANSO
- TB Global Technologies
- The Chugoku Electric Power Company
- The Kansai Electric Power Company
- thyssenkrupp Uhde Chlorine Engineers
- TOHO GAS
- Tohoku-Electric Power
- TOKYO ELECTRIC POWER SERVICES
- Toray Industries
- TOYO KANETSU
- TOYOTA CENTRAL R&D LABS
- TOYOTA ENERGY SOLUTIONS
- TOYOTA INDUSTRIES
- Toyota Tsusho Corporation
- Uyeno Transtech
- Wärtsilä Japan
- YANMAR HOLDINGS
- Yokogawa Electric
〔Associate Members (foreign companies)〕
- A-Enviro Chile GmbH-Austria Energy (AUT)
- AES Andes (CHL)
- Baker Hughes (UK, US)
- CF Industries (US)
- DNV GL (NOR)
- Engie - Hydrogen Business Unit (FRA)
- Equinor ASA (NOR)
- Fortescue Metals Group (AUS)
- "Kellogg Brown & Root Asia Pacific Pte. (SIN)"
- "NW interconnected Power Pty Ltd (Asian Renewable Energy Hub) (AUS)"
- Origin Energy Limited (AUS)
- Stanwell Corporation (AUS)
- The Hydrogen Utility (AUS)
- Total International S.A.(CHE)
- Woodside Energy (AUS)
- Yara International ASA (NOR)
〔Associate Members （individual）〕
- Fumiteru Akamatsu
- Hideaki Kobayashi
- Jyun Kubota
- Jyunko Umezawa
- Kiyohiko Nakae
- Koichi Eguchi
- Norihiko Nakamura
- Olivia Matsushita
- Yoshitsugu Kojima
- Bunro Shiozawa （ex-SIP Deputy PD)
- Kenichi Aika （ex-SIP Deputy PD)
- "Takeo Kikkawa (International University of Japan)"
- Akita Industrial Technology Center
- Ammonia Energy Association （USA）
- Austrade Tokyo Office （Embassy）
- "Central Research Institute of Electric Power Industry"
- CSIRO (AUS)
- EJAAD (OMN)
- Electric Power Research Institute (USA)
- Embassy of Norway in Tokyo, Japan
- Government of Queensland (AUS)
- Government of South Australia (AUS)
- Government of Western Australia (AUS)
- Japan Bank for International Cooperation
- Japan Coal Frontier Organization
- "Japan Oil, Gas and Metals National Corporation"
- "National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology（AIST）"
- New Zealand Embassy, Tokyo, Japan
- Niihama City
- "National Institute of Maritime, Port and Aviation Technology"
- Research Institute for Applied Sciences
- Shin-Mutsu-Ogawara Inc.
- The Australian Hydrogen Council(AHC) (AUS)
- The Institute of Applied Energy(IAE)
- The Institute of Energy Economics, Japan
- "The New Zealand Hydrogen Council
- YOKKAICHI CITY
- To be released.